Breakfast is my least favorite meal of the day. There, I said it. I love breakfast food but I prefer it for dinner or brunch is right up my alley. Maybe it’s because I don’t consider myself a morning person and all I really want first thing is my coffee. Food is more of an afterthought and I’m trying to be better. So what can I make ahead of time that I don’t have to do much to prepare in the morning? Enter skillet banana bread that can be customized to your families likes/dislikes or dietary preferences. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet this recipe does just fine in a loaf pan. Your cook time will increase but other than that no change necessary.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time50 min
- Total Time1 hr 5 min
- Skillet Cook Time30 – 35 min
- 1 stick butter
- 3 large, over ripe bananas
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar (or substitute alternative sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Oat Crumble Topping (optional – but delicious)
- 1 stick melted butter (substitute coconut oil)
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your skillet or loaf pan with non stick cooking spray or butter or use parchment paper. Set aside.
• Melt 1 stick of butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add bananas and apple sauce and mash with a fork until well combined.
• Add vanilla and eggs to the same bowl and stir with a fork until all the eggs are fully incorporated.
• In a second mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients for the batter: flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Whisk until combined.
• Add dry ingredients to the wet and stir with a spatula until just combined.
• Pour your batter into prepared skillet or loaf pan.
Oak Crumble Topping Instructions
• Melt 1 stick of butter in a microwave safe dish.
• Add oats, pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until combined.
• Gently spoon topping over batter until evenly distributed. Press down slightly.
Bake your skillet banana bread for 30 minutes and check middle with a toothpick. For your loaf pan increase cooking time to 45-55 minutes checking middle with toothpick.
Let cool completely and enjoy with coffee, tea, a cold glass of milk or a scoop of vanilla ice cream!